One of our favorite Christmas traditions at GoodGrandma℠ is making gingerbread houses. It’s so much fun to get creative with candy! You can buy pre-made gingerbread kits at the grocery store, making it so easy. Especially when in a smaller group. It can be less expensive and save a ton of time. Another inexpensive IDEA is using graham crackers! We used school size milk cartons to give out graham cracker houses a foundation. For us, it’s more about being able to decorate your own house, no matter your age, than starting from scratch and building an elaborate gingerbread house.
The most important thing is your icing! Make sure it will set fast so there wont be any house earthquakes or tears! Here is our favorite icing recipe, Betty Crocker Royal Icing Recipe:
- 1 package (16 ounces) powdered sugar (4 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup warm water, (105°F to 115°F) SAVE $
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Beat all ingredients in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until mixed. Beat on high speed 7 to 10 minutes or until very stiff.